To activate subtitles click on the gear icon in the YouTube window and select your language.
What people are saying about the film
– Jonathan Cooper, YouTube
– Fightmax Gaming, YouTube
– Dodjie Santos, YouTube
– Nora Germain, YouTube
– Teck Low, YouTube
– Dani Walker, YouTube
– Marc P, YouTube
– Matthew McKean, YouTube
– Scott Ales, YouTube
– Michael Vingerhoet, YouTube
– Ryan Day, YouTube
– 101 Bitcoin Reasons, YouTube
– J.Gabriel Parra Cortes, YouTube
– John, YouTube
What is the Blockchain?
blockchain, NOUN /ˈblɒktʃeɪn/
A digital ledger in which transactions made in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency are recorded chronologically and publicly.
A mysterious white paper (Nakamoto, Satoshi, 2008, “Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System”) introduced the Bitcoin blockchain, a combination of existing technologies that ensures the integrity of data without a trusted party. It consists of a ledger that can’t be changed and a consensus algorithm—a way for groups to agree. Unlike existing databases in banks and other institutions, a network of users updates and supports the blockchain—a system somewhat similar to Wikipedia, which users around the globe maintain and double-check. The cryptocurrency Bitcoin is the first use case of the blockchain, but much more seems to be possible.
The Next Generation of the Internet
The first 40 years of the Internet brought e-mail, social media, mobile applications, online shopping, Big Data, Open Data, cloud computing, and the Internet of Things. Information technology is at the heart of everything today—good and bad. Despite advances in privacy, security, and inclusion, one thing is still missing from the Internet: Trust. Enter the blockchain.
The Blockchain and Us: The Project
When the Wright brothers invented the airplane in 1903, it was hard to imagine there would be over 500,000 people traveling in the air at any point in time today. In 2008, Satoshi Nakamoto invented Bitcoin and the blockchain. For the first time in history, his invention made it possible to send money around the globe without banks, governments or any other intermediaries. Satoshi is a mystery character, and just like the Wright brothers, he solved an unsolvable problem. The concept of the blockchain isn’t very intuitive. But still, many people believe it is a game changer. Despite its mysterious beginnings, the blockchain might be the airplane of our time.
Manuel Stagars portrays this exciting technology in interviews with software developers, cryptologists, researchers, entrepreneurs, consultants, VCs, authors, politicians, and futurists from the United States, Canada, Switzerland, the UK, and Australia.
How can the blockchain benefit the economies of nations? How will it change society? What does this mean for each of us? The Blockchain and Us is no explainer video of the technology. It gives a view on the topic, makes it accessible and starts a conversation about its potential wider implications in a non-technical way. The film deliberately poses more questions than it answers. For a deep dive, see all full-length interviews from the film here. Additional information about the project is in the Q&A and Disclaimer.
Interviews from the film
Additional Conversations and Special Thanks
Many people and organizations helped to make this project happen by contributing their ideas, advice, time and access to their networks. Special thanks to all of you (list in alphabetical order of last names).
- Avalbit.org team, www.avalbit.org
- Iris Belle, Tongji University, www.iris-belle.com
- Kenneth Berthelsen, www.linkedin.com/in/kennethb
- Ben Bledsoe, www.linkedin.com/in/benjaminbledsoe
- Thomas Bromehead, www.berigaudvehiculesanciens.fr
- Richard Cheng
- Jose Felip Daras, www.linkedin.com/in/josefelip
- Dario Duran, www.utxo.ch
- Marie Farrar Knowles, Chamber of Digital Commerce, www.digitalchamber.org
- Olga Feldmeier, Verto Advisory, www.linkedin.com/in/olga-feldmeier-0a4a7a2
- Sonya Fricker, www.iso-20022.ch
- Daniel Gasteiger, nexussquared, www.nexussquared.co
- Daniel Grassinger, nexussquared, www.nexussquared.co
- Johs. Hoehener, Swisscom Digital Business, www.swisscom.ch
- Caio Rearte, www.linkedin.com/in/caiorearte/
- Rein Jonkman, www.linkedin.com/in/plutone
- Richard Kastelein, Blockchain News, www.the-blockchain.com
- Leanne Kemp, Everledger, www.everledger.io
- Thomas Kern, Swiss ICT Investor Club (SICTIC), www.sictic.ch/fintech
- Francine Klopfenstein, Zurich Airport, www.flughafen-zuerich.ch
- Miriam Kozak, Future Matters, www.future-matters.com
- Veronica Lange, UBS, www.ubs.ch
- Adriano B. Lucatelli, Descartes Finance, www.descartes-finance.com
- Christian Mäder, Bitlake, www.bitlake.net, www.bitcoinnews.ch
- Ruedi Maeder, www.iso-20022.ch
- Luzius Meisser, Meisser Economics, www.meissereconomics.com
- Michael Monceaux, www.linkedin.com/in/mcmonceaux
- Martin Mueller, UX/UI & Interaction Design, www.martinxd.com
- Mia Mutic, Deloitte, www.deloitte.com
- Ian Petchenik, Flightradar24, www.flightradar24.com
- Nathaniel Popper, www.nathanielpopper.com
- Ramon Quesada, www.linkedin.com/in/ramonbitcoin
- Kamesh Raghavendra, The Hive, www.hivedata.com
- Brian Rogers, Swiss Re, www.swissre.com
- Jouko Salonen, www.linkedin.com/in/joukosalonen
- Sergey Sevantsyan, www.linkedin.com/in/sergey-sevantsyan
- Vadim Shamigulov, www.linkedin.com/in/vadim-shamigulov
- Raffaela Stelzer, Zurich Airport, www.flughafen-zuerich.ch
- Don Tapscott, www.dontapscott.com
- Elizabeth Wesson, Swiss Re, www.swissre.com
- Iwona Zdanowicz, Bloq, www.bloq.com
What’s next? The Blockchain and Us podcast.
The podcast continues where the film left off with interviews with pioneers and innovators about the present and future of blockchain technology, cryptoassets, and the token economy. It is now available on www.theblockchainandus.com, iTunes, Sticher, Mixcloud, and all major podcast apps and platforms.
I’ve been following Stagars for a while now. He gets to know and interviews those all around the world who are at the forefront of future tech. His focus is largely on blockchain and also the advent of tech-promoted groundbreaking shifts in perception, culture, markets, and well, sometimes it seems everything. This is a podcast to pay attention to if you’re interested in tech and/or the future.
– Mr Mackerel, iTunes
This is a deep plunge into the blockchain. Highly recommended.
– Mars or Bust, iTunes
Recent Podcast Episodes
- Hackernoon: Five Blockchain Podcasts You Shouldn’t Miss (Spoiler: The Blockchain and Us is #1)
- How Cosmos Enables the Internet of Blockchains – Brian Fabian Crain, Co-Founder & CEO Chorus One, Co-Host at Epicenter
- How Cosmos Enables the Internet of Blockchains - Brian Fabian Crain, Co-Founder & CEO Chorus One, Co-Host at Epicenter
- “Blockchain Is Successful When People Don’t Know They’re Using It” – Johannes Schweifer, Co-Founder & CEO, CoreLedger
- "Blockchain is Successful When People Don't Know They're Using It" - Johannes Schweifer, Co-Founder & CEO, CoreLedger
- Crypto Weekly: 24 Crypto Podcasts with Tips from Industry Experts
- How a Blockchain Venture Studio Works – Mervyn G. Maistry, CEO & Founder, Konfidio and Kintaro Capital
- How a Blockchain Venture Studio Works - Mervyn G. Maistry, CEO & Founder, Konfidio and Kintaro Capital
- Why New Technologies Need Sharper Critical Thinking – Andrea Bauer, Founder & Senior Advisor, BEAM Innovation Studio
- Why New Technologies Need Sharper Critical Thinking - Andrea Bauer, Founder & Senior Advisor, BEAM Innovation Studio
- Why You Need Digital Identity Before Anything Else – Daniel Gasteiger, Founder & CEO, Procivis
- Why You Need Digital Identity Before Anything Else - Daniel Gasteiger, Founder & CEO, Procivis
- Why the Blockchain Space Needs Better Access – Alexis Gauba, Co-Founder she(256), Mechanism Labs
- Why the Blockchain Space Needs Better Access - Alexis Gauba, she(256), Mechanism Labs
- Why Good Content is King in Blockchain PR – David Wachsman, Founder and CEO, Wachsman